[ale] X headaches (literally)

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Mon Sep 1 15:04:53 EDT 2003

I'm trying to give my desktop up to my wife (for use as a
MythTV/surf-from-tv box), so I'm transitioning most of my work over to my
Dell Inspiron i8200 laptop.

Everything's great so far, except that I'd like to use my external 19"
monitor rather than the laptop's display.  When I connect to external
monitor and switch the display over to it, it displays fine, but
something's not quite right.  It almost seems as if the signal is a little
weak or something.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's definitely
giving me eye strain, whatever it is.

Anyone else with a Dell know what I'm talking about?  My desktop has a
Geforce 2 and looks great on the monitor...the laptop has a Geforce 4 Go
and kinda hurts my head.  I have to look away every few minutes or so.

Anyone know what might be causing this?  The display looks fine on the
laptop screen itself.  Is it an issue with a weaker signal being sent out
the external display jack?

Sigh...grasping at straws here....

Thanks guys.

John