[ale] PPP Perfromance

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Oct 30 23:04:16 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 21:52, Ryan wrote:
> I thought MRU and MTU were things that ppp negotiates automatically when
> bringing the link up. Is there any benefit to forcibly setting them? Or
> are they required to give ppp an idea of what to say during that
> negotiation?

I'm 99% certain that mtu and mru are NOT "negotiated" during setup of a
PPP link. That would be a slick feature!! There are some general
guidelines that are based on the transport mechanism involved. I would
guess that the PPP-HowTo would be an OK place to start for tweaking
Linux toys. Google seems good at finding arcane numbers. Here's a good
article that outline some of the tweaks (and frustrations) of tuning a
ppp link for speed.

http://www.internetweekly.org/llarrow/mtumss.html