[ale] OT: unemployed list

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche dittmeb at mail.rockefeller.edu
Wed Oct 29 09:26:18 EST 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Dylan Northrup wrote:

> A long time ago, (29.10.03), in a galaxy far, far away, Fulton Green wrote:
>
> :=I vote for "ale-career".  That way, people could send re'sume's (with
> :=contact info censored if necessary) through that channel as well.
>
> I'd prefer the list be purely for job postings and not for resume posting.
> I will wager good money that the number of "subscribers wanting to be
> employed" outnumbers the "subscribers wanting to employ someone".  Thus,
> messages asking for employees will be relevant to many more people than
> messages asking for employers.
>
> I could see it becoming a forum where job seeking advice is shared amongst
> the folks ("So you want to try consulting, eh?", "These things helped my
> resume", "There seems to be a coming trend of people needed with skill X",
> etc).  This would be truer to the name of 'ale-career'.  But just having it
> as a resume posting board seems like more noise, less signal.

I second the idea that it should be renamed and it should remain a
separate list. It would be nice if people posted consulting work there,
too, so perhaps the name should reflect that. It could be
"ale-opportunities", or something, but I like "ale-career" as well.

Okay, gotta go sign up for it now.....

	bjorn