[ale] OT: Electronic Voting in GA

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Oct 28 13:01:48 EST 2003

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 09:36 am, Bjorn Dittmer-Roche wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Bob Toxen wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 11:25:58PM -0600, Joseph A Knapka wrote:
> > > Public key cryptography allows us to achieve provably
> > > secure electronic voting, immune from this sort of
>
> I should dispell a myth here. Public key cryptography has NOT been proven
> to be secure through any mathematical process.

True--that is one reason why quantum crytography looks so cool.  It is
provably secure.  At the moment, it is also damn hard to do, but it's getting
easier every year.  Until that time, or someone proved P != NP, we'll have to
settle for something that has every appearance of being secure without an
exact proof.

Michael