[ale] Request for Comments/etc - Multimedia questions

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Oct 27 12:04:06 EST 2003

On Sunday 26 October 2003 12:30 pm, Greg wrote:
> I am starting 2 projects around the house and I have some questions on
> multimedia (of which I have "0" experience).  My first project is to
> convert all of my vinyl LP's to ogg vorbis
<snip>
> LP project:
> * any comments on what pre-amp to buy for going from turntable to pc ?
>
> * any suggestions on software to clean up LP's ?

The only thing I've found is gramofile.  It's an ancient thing from the last
century that doesn't seem to be maintained at all, but I compiled and rean it
only a few months ago.  It's got a curses interface that is slightly buggy,
but pretty easy to use.

I has several filters to choose from.  I've never noticed much difference with
any of them  I just use the default.

I found this article in September's Linux Journal pretty much agreed with my
experiences: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6628

Want to give a talk on it when you've got a working setup at one of the ALE
meetings?

Michael