[ale] Request for Comments/etc - Multimedia questions

Doug McNash dmcnash at charter.net
Sun Oct 26 15:36:10 EST 2003

I have converted about 600+ LP's in my collection to
.mp3's - took me about 2-3 years at one an evening.  I
would record to a .wav and edit tracks with Sonic Foundry,
 write to CD format as .wav, encode to .mp3's and backup
.mp3's to CD.

My setup

Turntable:      Pioneer PL-550 (fished out of
Brother-in-Laws trash)
Pickup:         Shure V15      (another relic from the
70's)
Integrated Amp: Luxman L-85V (bought in 1971)
Speakers:       Klipsh KSB1.1 speakers
Sound Card:     Midiman Audiophile 2496
Software:       Soundforge Sonic Foundry X4.5
Encoder:        Soundfordge Siren (Fraunhoffer) or Lame

Obviously I used W2K, when I started the Linux drivers and
tools were, to be kind, of inadequate quality.  I still
believe that to be, sad but true.  The ALSA drivers are
suppose to be better.  Audacity may be OK, I am just so
imprinted on Sonic Foundry I can't use it. I have trouble
with vim vs vi so it may just be me.

You can get a single purpose RIAA preamp so you can
connect your turntable directly to your soundcard.  I have
one by Rolls (about $60 PartsExpress). It is about 1x1x2"
with a wall wart.  I don't like the sound from it so I use
my old friend the Luxman. Most new amps will not have a
phono input but you can find lots of oldies but goodies on
ebay, some cheaper and better than a new single purpose
unit.  I connect my sound card to the amp as a tape drive.

Pointers -

Get a good semi-pro sound card like the Midiman
Audiophile2496 at a minimum, if you can hear the
difference.  To me there is a world of difference between
it and the Ensoniq AudioPCI I was using initially.

Forget about digital noise reduction.  I find the muffled
rumblings of the artifacts from this process worse that
the scratches.  I edit them out manually or just live with
it.  Some recordings I have come to expect the scratches
and remember the party and person who cause it.  Brings
back memories.
--
Doug McNash <dmcnash at yahoo.com>