[ale] Oracle on Suse 8.2

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sun Oct 26 11:05:43 EST 2003

I think that what Java has that the others don't is that it is more
appealing to developers and those who are responsible for applications
(bosses of developers).  An IDE (actually several), ability to run
everywhere, a support network, an ability to fit many roles - single running
application, client/browser applets, server(light) beans, and server(heavy)
J2EE beans, and object based coding are some of the things that come to
mind.  Yes, I know that the others have many of the same attirbutes, but
only Java has them all.  While generally a resource hog, Java can be done to
run fast, but it requires some effort on the part of the programmers to do
so.

Like anything else, it depends on the programmer to make it great or screw
it up.  And like anything else, it is not a
1-stop-does-everything-answer-to-all-of-your-problems technology.  It is
just another tool in the IT toolbox.  Nothing more.  Not evil or good, just
a technology.

Greg