[ale] Oracle on Suse 8.2

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Oct 25 08:41:28 EDT 2003

Make sure you setup the big environment variable mess that oracle needs
to function. Oracle installed 2 versions of java, 1.1.8 and 1.3.1. It
seems to use one during the install and the other for run time stuff. My
Compiere install uses jdk-1.4.1 (required version) so I have 3 versions
of java stuff loaded.

Keep in mind that the ease of installation for Windows is due entirely
to the lack of choice and control. Linux package managers like deb and
rpm are almost there in terms of a breezy installation process yet
allowing the choice and control of a real operating system.

I understand why Oracle uses java for so much of its gui control panel
stuff. I just wish java were not such a resource hog. I also wish I
understood enough more of the commandline Oracle to not have to use the
gui.