[ale] compiled system calls versus shell scripts

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 24 17:07:02 EDT 2003

CB,

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 19:24, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> I've basically removed my "shell scripts" altogether and replaced them
> with 1 script.  I put all the commands in the script based on thier
> dependencies and organized it myself.  So it reads like so:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> modprobe mousedev
> X &
>
> modprobe natsemi
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.x up
> sshd &
> nfsd &
>
> ... etc ...

	Another thought: why not rebuild your kernel with things like
'mousedev' and 'natsemi' compiled in?  That'll save the modprobe time
during startup, and save both memory and module overhead (not much of
each, though).

	If you're gonna use item X all the time, then it makes sense to go
ahead and compile it in.  While you're in there, disable absolutely
EVERYTHING you can to save some RAM.

	For example, with RH, the MD (RAID) stuff is already in there, but as
modules.  However, on boot, the RH scripts modprobe it in, and start the
various threads that MD uses (e.g. mdrecoveryd) even if I don't use RAID
:-(.

Danny