[ale] compiled system calls versus shell scripts

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Oct 23 14:58:22 EDT 2003

Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> Excellent question.  I think the answer is that the make -j parameter
> serves to limit things.  Beyond a certain point, firing off too many
> things at once probably starts to hurt more than help, mostly because
> of disk I/O.  By using make -j, you've got a way to tweak the
> proceedings - find a number that's more of a sweet spot.

Okay, so you can control it by changing the passed value to '-j'.  You
can do the same with shell scripts via 'sleep/wait' combos.  Just
playing the devil's advocate here.  I guess for someone like Chris B.
who's trying to cut boot time on his dashpc, this is a viable tweeking
solution, if it works.

> I was interested in this mostly because, using SuSE 7.0, it takes a
> Pentium/60 about four and a half minutes to get to n X logon from
> power-on.

Okay, it's viable for you too. ;)

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net