[ale] compiled system calls versus shell scripts

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Oct 23 06:38:15 EDT 2003

Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> Aahhh!  That explains why when I "time" each I get almost double results
> from the compiled binary.  I created a shell script and a binary that do
> the exact same thing and I got results that were opposite (as you
> described) from what I expected.  For those that don't know, you can
> "time" a command by simply running:  ' time whatever.sh ' or ' time
> binaryfilename '.  When the program is completed, you'll be presented
> with a timing calculation of the execution time.  As a result (of my
> result), I decided to post this thread to the list.  Thanks for sheding
> some light on it, Doug!!!
>
> Does anyone know how to do the Make / Makefile thing at bootup?  How
> does one build the makefile, and where do you put it?

All make is going to do for you is parallel processing of some
processes.  You could likely do the same by simply reviewing your
startup scripts and enabling background running of those that you know
can run in a parallel fashion.

For example, you know networking needs to be up before Samba is started.
  But, startup of samba and nfs could be parallel processes.

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net