[ale] OT Question for COmcast users

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Oct 21 09:58:09 EDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 09:37:22AM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> Jim Lynch wrote:
> >Jim Lynch wrote:
> >
> >You all got me hot and bothered about speed factory, until I called
> >them.  They want $60/mo for a static IP and an ethernet connection.
> >Their $50 option is only a usb device and a dhcp served ip address.  I
> >don't much care about the dynamic IP, but I can't live with a usb modem.
> > They said they would furnish an ethernet modem, but I'd have to pay
> >$150 for it.
>
> A couple of issues you need to consider.  Bellsouth's package is $47,
> but you'll have to pay $10 for multi-user network services that you get
> with the Speedfactory $60 plan.  Now you're at $57 vs $60.  If you're
> planning on doing the multi user solution without paying the extra $10
> to Bellsouth, then you should compare the proper prices to the
> Speedfactory offerings.  Either way, you'd be signing an agreement you
> would not be adhering to.

You may pay an extra few dollars a month for SF and you may have to
pay for a router device.  If you are serious about getting a good
connection and good service then these extra dollars shoudl be trival.
BS and MindSpring focus on the masses.  Mostly Windows users that are
browsing the web. Linux users should not even be considering them.

If ALE has a FAQ, I think DSL connectivity should be in that FAQ.  Most
people order BS then ask "How do I connect Linux?"  They should really be
looking at what provider connects well with Linux. Then they can order
their service.