[ale] bios chip removal?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Oct 20 15:48:45 EDT 2003

Mike Panetta wrote:

> Can you not reset to defaults by using a command from within the bios
> itself?  Is it password protected?

I can't recall if I responded to this...  Old age I guess. When you
enter the bios on this board, it asked for a password, which I
remembered.  I got tired of it, so I unset it.  Well, apparently there's
two passwords, a user level password and an admin.  Now when it boots,
it's asking for a password, but won't accept the previous one, so it
must be that I set the admin password as well.  Problem is, I don't
recall what it is. ;(

Interesting thing is, there's a place on the board where I believe it
was designed to have a battery, as it's got a cirle there about the size
of the lithium batteries you see on some boards.  It's labeled 'bt1.'

> Who makes the board?

MSI

How old is it?

Pentium that accepts a max of a 200 MMX.  Pretty old.

Whats its part #?  Have you
> found a manual?

Got a copy of the manual from the MSI web site.  It's a bunch of jpg
images.  Anyway, nothing in it that references reseting the bios.

I've traded a couple of emails with MSI support who first told me to
locate the jbat jumper.  There's not one.  Their final email to me was
that they did not have a manual for this board and suggested I just
replace it.

I've since located the original manual which came with it, and although
it states there is a battery backup for the bios, it doesn't mention how
one might reset it.

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net