[ale] OT Question for COmcast users

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Oct 19 17:44:25 EDT 2003

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 10:25:15AM -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
> My DSL modem bit the dust and no one in town carries them.

I have an old Alcatel in my basement gathering dust. If it works maybe
we can make a deal.

> I don't want
> to pay BS $149 for another one so I thought I'd check out Comcast.  The
> online application doesn't let you tell them you're gonna use your own
> modem and they want $139 for one, which is a bit higher than they are
> worth.

Correct. I paid $55 for mine.

> So two questions.  For those who have their own cable modem, how'd you
> get service without selecting buy/rent from them?

Actually both times I did have to select rent then get them to recind it.
The first time I purchased the cable service and Ebay'ed the modem at about
the same time. It just so happened that I received the modem the same day as
the service was put in. So I brought the rented modem back, got the credit
and had the rental fee removed.

When I renegotiated with Comcast to get the $29/month deal until the end
of the year, they brought out the modem but I said I had my own. So they
took it back. No charge ever showed up.

> Has anyone successfully negotiated that $99 one time fee away?

That $99 fee. I don't think I ever had one of those.

> If I gotta pay that fee, then I might as well stick with DSL.

Like I said if you want to test out this Alcatel (which was from BS BTW),
maybe we can work something out.

BAJ