[ale] Think I need some standard C++ libs in Slack-9.1

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sat Oct 18 22:15:24 EDT 2003

Bob -

Thanks for the note.

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003, Bob Evans wrote:

> I had libstdc++-2-libc6.1-1-2.9.0.so in package cxxlibs. It's in the "a"
> file set....

OK - I found that file had been placed in '/usr/i486-slackware-linux/lib',
then I found something else: 'nm' reports that none of the '*.so'
libs in that directory exports any symbols!??! Is that to be expected?
Running 'nm /usr/lib/*.so' gives mixed results: some libs have exports,
others to not. I don't know what this means, nor did I see this in my old
setup.

I build my code with gcc/g++-2.96 in RH-7.3 and I am using version 3.2.3
in Slackware-9.1. I don't expect that would require a source change for
such a basic function as 'cout', would it? Is there a header to be
included that defines 'cout'? (The error is actually a compiler message
the 'cout' and 'endl' are undefined.)

It is also possible I missed some needed package when installing.

Any suggestions welcome.

TIA.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu