[ale] bios chip removal?

Doug McNash dmcnash at charter.net
Sat Oct 18 11:27:28 EDT 2003

If the BIOS is socketed it is probably not rewritable in
place.  Removing it or replacing it will probably not do
what you want.  The active BIOS parameters are probably
not stored on that chip but in some RAM, most likely on a
RTC (Real Time Clock) chip.  The RTC will be powered by a
battery or a capacitor, most likely a larger axial lead
component and the only axial lead component on the board.

If you can find the capacitor, drain it by shorting it
with a low value resistor.  If a battery look for a
disconnect jumper or unsolder one of the leads for a
second as it might not be rechargable. Otherwise, I would
try to find the RTC chip, look up the data sheet for it a
see if it has some RAM.  If I couldn't find a reset jumper
near it, look on the data sheet for the RST pin and ground
or pulse it depending on what the data sheet says.

Good Luck.

--
Doug McNash <dmcnash at yahoo.com>