[ale] spamassassin hint

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Sat Oct 18 10:38:11 EDT 2003

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 09:41:14AM +0000, Jim Philips wrote:
> Here is the entry from the spamd man page:
>
> -L, --local                        Use local tests only (no DNS)
>
> Not trying to start an argument. Just wondering what they mean by "no DNS".

If you page down further in the man page, you'll find this:

       -L, --local
           Perform only local tests on all mail.  In other words, skip DNS and
           other network tests.  Works the same as the "-L" flag to
           spamassassin(1).

And if you check the spamassassin man page:

       -L, --local
           Do only the ''local'' tests, ones that do not require an internet
           connection to operate.  Normally, SpamAssassin will try to detect
           whether you are connected to the net before doing these tests
           anyway, but for faster checks you may wish to use this.

I'm not sure why they put "no DNS" in the man page, it seems to just
confuse things.  I don't want to start an argument either, I just wanted
to point out that the -L option, though much faster, is not as likely to
catch as much spam.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9