[ale] bios chip removal?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Oct 18 07:57:49 EDT 2003

Okay, a bit of hardware ignorance here.  I've got an older mb that I
need to reset the bios on, but there's no jumper to reset or battery to
remove.  I've noted there is a removable ic that has a bios sticker atop
it.  Anyone know if I remove this chip, will this do what I want?  Or
will it toast this puppy?

I couldn't find a new bios from the manuf. so I went to the ami website.
  There was a link to another company that could provide bios updates.
I filled the form in, sent it off.  Got email back asking me to call a
800#.  I called and after a bit of a sales pitch, I was offered new bios
for $69.  I couldn't believe it.  I told the guy I could replace the mb
for that.  I'm in the wrong business...  What a racket.

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net