[ale] Re: Red Hat scare tactics

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Thu Oct 16 19:24:49 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 10:28:23AM -0400, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
>
> > I haven't checked, but I suspect that the RHN is only provided for one
> > system, not all of them.  In fact, I believe that they claim you can only
> > install on one system, so the $179/sys if the proper estimate above.  It
> > is cheaper that $199, but not by much.
> This has nothing to do with the GPL and compliance with it (or lack
> thereof). Copyright law and trademark law are two different things.
Actually, it does because the GPL is nothing more than a software license
that limits what Red Hat can do.

I solved this problem for one client by having them subscribe to RHN for
one system.  A program that I wrote then sees what new RPMs, if any, came
in and then copies them to their other systems and does a RPM install.
Works great and is legal.

> later,
> chris

Bob Toxen