[ale] Re: Red Hat scare tactics

Jeff Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Thu Oct 16 14:50:29 EDT 2003

> > Are you sure? (I'm not questioning you, I've just never heard
> > this). I'm looking at solutions to replace RH 7.3 on our clusters
> > (in total we have something like 1200 CPUs or about 600 boxes).
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> Switch to Rocks clusters.  Really nice setup and compute node deployment.
> http://rocks.npaci.edu/Rocks/

To be honest, I like another cluster distribution instead
of ROCKS (not intending to start a jihad on cluster
distributions). ROCKS is OK, but our clusters are from
vendors that have their own distribution and that's all
they'll support (and Lockheed insists on having support).
These vendors are also struggling with what to replace
RH 7.3 (or 8 or 9) with.

On the ROCKS mailing list I remember reading that they
will be switching to their own build of RH ES from the
.src.rpm files. They talked with Redhat and RH said this
was fine with them.

Jeff

--
Dr. Jeff Layton