[ale] Locked FreeBSD box

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Oct 16 13:09:39 EDT 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Christopher Fowler wrote:

> I've got one FreeBSD 5.0 server that ocasionally locks.  I'm not
> seeing any messages on the console so I'm assuming it is hardware related.
> Is there a way to attach a debugger to the kernel so I can see if there
> is a common location the lock is happening?

You have to have compiled with

options DDB

in your kernel config (not done by default, for security)

You can then force it to drop into ddb by a sysctl
automatically drop into ddb if you ever panic

Instead of ddb, you can connect with gdb from a remote box, but I've never
tried that. For ddb commands, see the ddb man page....

You might also consider upgrading to 5.1. Neither 5.0 or 5.1 are considered
production stability, but 5.1 is closer than 5.0 is ;-)

later,
chris