[ale] bittorrent gain?

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 16 09:34:50 EDT 2003

ALErs -

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 08:37, Geoffrey wrote:
> > I guess I scared it, cause my download rate has jumpbed to 100+ KiB/s
> > from a previous < 20.

I just used bittorrent to download Slackware-9.1 disks 1 and 2. Each
session took several hours (> 8.0). I didn't start any other bittorrent
programs (i.e., tracker) on my system, nor open other ports. I did see
outbound traffic, so other peers were apparently able to connect.

> It really looks like you are on a bad connection with a throttle
> somewhere upstream from you. I did the first slackware iso in just over
> 40 minutes on a Speakeasy DSL account. The activity light on the dsl
> "modem" didn't blink, it just stayed on. Maybe no one is online serving
> it out any more?

I am on a Speakeasy DSL account (the slower-rate one, but nothing like
that!). Whatever was limiting my speed, I don't see it in other apps.

There was another peculiarity - the second disk downloaded into a
different directory than the first: a subdirectory of the same name as its
parent. Go figure ...

I expect I'll use bittorrent when I must, but unless there is a way to get
acceptable speeds, it won't be the method of choice!

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu