[ale] Re: Red Hat scare tactics

Jeff Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Thu Oct 16 09:03:04 EDT 2003

Christopher Fowler wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 08:37:55AM -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> >
> > The release rate for the RedHat branded stuff will no longer be every 6
> > months or so.  It will be tied to a specific release of Enterprise
> > Server and Advanced server. Both of those are slated to have release
> > cycles around 2 years (sounds like M$) with the usual bug and security
> > fixes as needed. There will be no more "enhancement" upgrades from RHN.
>
> Are you saying that If I want to be on bleeding edge I need to
> look to another distro?  For example,  If KDE 4 comes out I
> want it fast and do not want to wait 2 years to get it.  Sure I
> can download, build and install but I would prefer a distro that had
> it cleanly integrated.

That's my understanding. To get the bleeding edge (the
'rawhide' stuff) you move to Fedora. The RH ES, AS,
WS (or whatever the hell the acronyms are), will rollout
some upgrades at some point, but I'm not sure if it's for
KDE or Gnome or something like that. I'm sure they will
be on top of kernel upgrades, security fixes, etc.

Have you looked around for other distros built from the
.src.rpm's for RH? I know of a couple of them. They look
pretty good. Plus it's the _rock-solid_ stable RH series
with some upgrades from Fedora. Sounds like a good mix
to me.

Enjoy!

Jeff

--