[ale] Re: Red Hat scare tactics

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Oct 16 08:40:04 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 07:27, Christopher Fowler wrote:

> > $179/sys or $179 total for all of an organization's systems still is
> > cheaper than $199/sys for XP.
> >

> Yep and the feature list is greater.  My only issue with paying this
> much is the rate RH releases new versions.  I love being on the
> latest stuff but at $179 every six months it could be an expensive
> hobby for me to keep up.  I may check into Fedora but I know RH inside
> and out.  I used to use Slackware but started with RH from RH 4.2.  Mainly
> because of Triteal's CDE product that I purchased.

The release rate for the RedHat branded stuff will no longer be every 6
months or so.  It will be tied to a specific release of Enterprise
Server and Advanced server. Both of those are slated to have release
cycles around 2 years (sounds like M$) with the usual bug and security
fixes as needed. There will be no more "enhancement" upgrades from RHN.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>