[ale] CUPS Newbie

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Oct 15 19:02:51 EDT 2003

Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Geoffrey wrote:
>> I had a similar problem on RH 7.3 where both lprng and cups were
>> installed at the same time.
>

> On Red Hat and Debian, alternatives is used to allow both to coexist
> nicely. alternatives --config print is what you use to select.

This applies to rh 7.3 as well, but it's a lousy solution when you set
up printing and no where does it pop up and tell you 'oh, by the way,
you've got two print systems competing for your printing services.'  You
can print from some software, but not others.  Lousy solution if the
user has to dig around and figure out what the hell is going on.

> Slackware doesn't go in for things like that, though....

Personally, I'd rather have a reinstall make things work as they did on
Slack.  With RH, it didn't matter if I reinstalled, it still didn't work
until I got a clue and removed lprng.

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net