[ale] CUPS Newbie

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 15 19:02:25 EDT 2003

David S. Jackson wrote:

>You'll find cups is quite a bit different from lpd.  Try pointing
>your browser to http://localhost:631 on your cups box.  CUPS has
>quite a fancy admin web interface that gives you a rather friendly
>means of administering printers.  Also, check out www.cups.org.  My
>desktop slack box prints to an old HP540C off a freebsd box, which
>*does* run berkeley lpd.  Works fine, even though they're on
>different network segments.

I'll second David's comments. I've been using CUPS at work
on some Linux workstations for about 3 years and it's been
just great! The web interface is about the best web admin tool
I've seen (usually they're a big pain, but the CUPS one is very
easy to use and understand). I'm now pushing to use CUPS on
all of your UNIX boxes.

Enjoy!

Jeff