[ale] beeping sendmail.cf [was: beeping procmail]

Dylan Northrup docx at io.com
Wed Oct 15 08:09:57 EDT 2003

A long time ago, (14.10.03), in a galaxy far, far away, Jason Day wrote:

:=My firewall box used to beep whenever I used TAB-completion.  Drove me
:=crazy.  I read man pages, put arcane stuff in .inputrc files, even more
:=arcane stuff in terminfo files, but it seemed like there was always a
:=situation that would make it beep.
:=
:=So I cut the speaker wires.
:=
:=Chances are, you've got a sound card and speakers anyway, and the only
:=purpose the builtin speaker serves is to annoy you.  Might be something
:=to consider.

I had a key-ring stopwatch/watch that would beep on the hour.  Annoyed the crap out of
me, but I didn't want to mess with it because it was pretty small and I didn't know if
I'd be able to get it back together again.  A few weeks later I figure "I spent $20 on
the thing, I can buy a different one that doesn't beep if I hose this one".  Turns out
there were two springs that were leads from the circuit board to whatever was beeping.
Removed the springs and my life has been better ever since.  If the stopwatch had a
proper countdown function I'd have figured out a more robust way that I could turn it
on and off, but wince it lacked that and I didn't want to have it beep again, this was
an adequate solution.

--
Dylan Northrup <*> docx at io.com <*> http://www.io.com/~docx/
"Harder to work, harder to strive, hard to be glad to be alive, but it's