[ale] beeping sendmail.cf [was: beeping procmail]

Alan Bowman aminus at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 14 21:54:53 EDT 2003

>Where does your "low, almost inaudible beep" come from do you think?
  The beep is the system bell. I don't have any speakers on my Slackware
box, so the only beep is from the speaker in the case. I get the beep
even when I run from the command line, no windowmanager at all.

>Could Sendmail be complaining about some resource or something?  I
>suspect our respective beeps are related, since we're both running
>Slack 9.  Except you say you only get "maybe one beep" and I get
>quite a few.
  I get a beep for each email when I download 3 or 4 emails at once.
When I get home from work and fetch the hundred or so emails that have
accumulated during the day, I don't notice a beep for each one. I'll
have to listen more closely next time.

>Can you tie down what exactly is causing your beeps?  Procmail,
>Sendmail, Fetchmail? Something else?  I'm just trying to watch the
>maillog while the machine beeps and note which messages seem to be
>active during the beep.
  I've never run Procmail, so I'm guessing it's not that. I use Pine for
my mailer, so it's something other than Pine or Mutt.  To be honest, I
just accept this as default system behavior. I can't remember my system
-not- beeping when I get mail, and I've been running Slackware since
1998. Something is causing the system bell to beep, but I'm not
completely sure what.  That's not much help, but maybe it narrows it
down some.

...alan