[ale] beeping sendmail.cf [was: beeping procmail]

David S. Jackson deepbsd at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 14 21:06:13 EDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 08:25:43PM -0400 Alan Bowman <aminus at mindspring.com> wrote:
> >That sounds good; I just wanted the beeps to go away.  :-)  Turns out
> >I set beep=no in muttrc, but I am still hearing beeps, so at least
> >some beeps are coming from somewhere else.  Ah well.  Back to looking
> >for the cause of the irritating beeps during mail fetch...
>
>   I run Slack 9, with a default sendmail install. I get a very low,
> almost inaudible beep when mail downloads. If I'm downloading a lot of
> mail, I get maybe one beep.  What WindowManager are you running? Is it
> possible that the WindowManager is set to beep at certian events?

Doesn't seem to matter which WM I use.  As I watch the maillog, it
looks like the beeps happen not when check_mail rejects a sender, but
rather when the message is accepted for delivery.  So I was thinking
again that the beep might be coming from Procmail.  But I don't see
anything about "beep" yet in any of my procmail configs.

Where does your "low, almost inaudible beep" come from do you think?
Could Sendmail be complaining about some resource or something?  I
suspect our respective beeps are related, since we're both running
Slack 9.  Except you say you only get "maybe one beep" and I get
quite a few.

Can you tie down what exactly is causing your beeps?  Procmail,
Sendmail, Fetchmail? Something else?  I'm just trying to watch the
maillog while the machine beeps and note which messages seem to be
active during the beep.

David S. Jackson                                dsj at dsj.net