[ale] OT: hexing files

matty91 at bellsouth.net matty91 at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 13 23:25:45 EDT 2003

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Stephen Turner wrote:

> hey forgive my ignorance i havent been able to get into hex editing or
> assembly but cant you hex edit a file to ignor the registration code? for
> say those files you for some reason dont want to register or dont have a
> code to? >:)

You can, it is easy to do, but it is illegal (reverse engineering
commercial software is illegal, and may have DMCA implications depending
on the offense). Why not pay the person/company that took the time to
write the software? If money is the issue, poke around, I am sure there is
something free/shareware that does what you want. If you are just curious
how this is done, and don't plan to use this information incorrectly, take
a look at "Hacker Disassembling Uncovered," and chapter five in "Hack Proofing
Your Network."  I am not in any way shape or form condoning software piracy.
These are great resources for seeing how pirates break copy protection, and
can be very valuable resources for protecting the software YOU spent your
time and money to write.