[ale] Impressed with Knoppix, Question On SuSE (modem)

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 13 12:11:26 EDT 2003

I installed SuSE Personal 8.2 on my sister's laptop and had a VERY simple time getting it up and running. Almost everything worked, I just have to do some research on the modem and setting it up under YaST2. (by the way, any hints on configuring a Xircom RealPort CardBus Ethernet 10/100+Modem 56 RBEM56G-100 under SuSE 8.2? Ethernet works, having problems with the modem).

Anyway - I figured I'd pop in a Knoppix CD and boot it for kicks. Everything works, including the modem. How cool is that?

Now my thoughts are: figure out the modem under SuSE 8.2, and ship it - OR - Just install Knoppix to the harddisk and go Debian/Knoppix variant. If I select the 2nd alternative, I'd have to do that on my own machine as well, so I could have half a clue when my sister calls/e-mails with questions.

(after re-reading my post, I have to ban my kids from this laptop - the keys are getting stuck!!!)