[ale] [OT] Info on DRM, Law And Technology of DRM conference links

aaron aaron at pd.org
Mon Oct 13 02:41:20 EDT 2003

I was doing a google on an issue with some DRM overtones and came
across a page I thought was worth sharing with the group:

http://www.onlisareinsradar.com/archives/fair_use_copy_prevention/index.php

The site seems to have a focus on DRM issues and includes downloadable audio /
pixeo of a presentation on the evils of "Black Box" technology and electronic
voting from the "Law and Technology of DRM Conference" of March 2003.

Seeing this reminded me that I also attended a lecture on DRM issues at Ga
Tech last month and have been meaning to pass on some information about the
Public Knowledge group, new non-profit organization that is providing
information and lobbying in support of civil liberties, public domain and
Fair Use (in complement to groups like the EFF and EFGA):

http://www.publicknowledge.org/

This D.C. based non profit group is headed by Gigi Sohn, the person I heard
speak at GaTech [thanks Geoffrey for posting the notice]. The organization
seems very fair minded about balancing the needs for sensible copyrights with
the essential free speech, public domain and fair use protections that insure
a productive and open exchange of ideas for the advancement of knowledge,
technology and civilization. An article covering some of what she talked
about at GaTech, along with more on the status and sponsorship of the Public
Knowledge organization is here:

http://news.com.com/2010-1071-943785.html?tag=fd_nc_1

Not surprisingly, most of the current news surrounding the Washington lobbying
and  legislative efforts of Public Knowledge is not good. In private
conversation, Ms. Sohn confirmed that the presently installed regime prizes
the DMCA, is supporting all of its provisions vehemently, and is involved in
efforts to expand the criminalization of public media usage with its own
partisan legislation for undermining our constitution and civil liberties.

However, there have been many successful efforts to thwart the constant media
conglomerate campaigns that are attempting to install state by state versions
of DMCA style legislation (: the Diabolically Malicious Corrupt-your-rights
Act :) . A perfect case in point is how the EFGA group, Electronic Frontiers
Georgia, called enough attention to the corporape fraud of recent Georgia DRM
legislation to keep it from being blindly rubber stamped into law.

http://www.efga.org

Relentless is an accurate assessment of all these corporape conglomerate DRM
and DMCA legislative campaigns, so standing up for the protection of our fair
use and civil liberties is more critical than it has ever been. I hope these
links help keep you informed and involved.

peace
aaron