[ale] Dell Latitude - SuSE Install went well

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 9 10:39:25 EDT 2003

Well, got the Dell Latitiude off E-bay, and received it yesterday. Flipped a coin (I mean, made an educated decision) on distributions. Decided no Mandrake, decided no to Debian after smacking my head against a wall on printserver. Don't want to double-smack it doing remote assistance. Undecided on Red Hat / Fedora deal. So SuSE it is.

The laptop shipped from DFS with no operating system. Good for me! SuSE formatted/partitioned the hard drive, installed cleanly, recognized the graphics and sound cards. Recognized the modem. Didn't recognize the Ethernet interface until after I rebooted it - so I was nervous for maybe 3 minutes.

Time to update OpenOffice, GNU-Cash, install Scribus, and make sure the Gimp is current. Then gotta mail it to Pittsburgh for my sister. If any of you have friends needing a laptop - the refurbed ones from Dell available on E-Bay seem pretty cool.

I haven't tested the floppy yet - but think it will work no problem.