[ale] SuSE Linux successfully installed...now What?

Synco Gibraldter synco at xodarap.net
Wed Oct 8 12:27:22 EDT 2003

At 12:13 PM 10/8/2003, you wrote:
>Now I'm at a cross roads.  This computer is used by my wife primarily for
>email and spreadsheet functions.  I've got comcast for email.  I thought I
>had everything configured right, but I guess not.  One of the cool things
>of Outlook Express is that it leeches whatever's on the email network
>server, even if read by another program first.  Is this not the case with
>Kmail?  The Eudora I had running on my wife's laptop prior to conversion
>had the same limitation.  Bottom line is I need to get all of the
>historical email over to KMail and ensure that it works on a day to day basis.

downloading email from pop3 does not necessarily mean you have to delete
them from the pop3 server...  most (good) email clients will support
options like "download new messages only" and "delete from server after
download/deleted/empty trash/etc" -- check your client's options or use a
different email client.

>The other issue is getting all of her files that I've got on my laptop
>over to hers.  Is there a way to network oure computers together.  I've
>got a wireless home network working that my Linux laptop is using now
>too.  In the past I could go from computer to computer via mapping drives,
>etc in MS land.  How do I do this in Linux-ville?

check out samba... it's a good way to integrate with ms.  i personally
prefer to use ftp on my lan between my win and lin boxes.