[ale] Linksys wget and maybe perl

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Oct 6 06:42:55 EDT 2003

Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> I may have to check it out if for no other reason than I'm getting
> pretty disillusioned with Coyote Linux.  Inasmuch as it has been working
> very well for me to date, I don't like the slow update cycle or the
> specious documentation.  Newer versions have lost features from older
> versions, for one thing, and even though it apparently uses ssh, there
> were no updates when the recent ssh patches came out.

I really have to say that it's not that much worse building your own
firewall.  Stick slack on a box, pick up Bob's book and go at it.  Sure,
it'll take some time, but you will learn a ton of stuff and you'll
actually understand how some of this stuff works.  Someone else
mentioned the book Linux Firewalls.  That's a good book too, but I find
Bob's to be more comprehensive, covering more of the subject matter.

Either way, once you build your firewall, test it.  That is a critical
step a lot of folks skip.

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net