[ale] Lightweight Window Manager Issues <-non-profits & Win95

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Oct 5 16:59:16 EDT 2003

aaron wrote:

> My understanding after working a bit with Free Bytes is that to
> spread the windblows '95 virus to second level victims without also
> delivering the threat of M$-B$A prosecution they must use donated
> licenses -- either by one to one transfer from a donated system with
> a ("legit") windblows'95 install or from donated, sealed retail boxes
> or site packages of the OS.

This is not allowable by M$ unless the software is a previously
purchased retail box.  You are not permitted to 'transport' windows 95
from a computer to another if that version came with the previous
computer.  Read the license, it's very clear on this.  You are not
permitted to reinstall OEM software on a different machine.  I'm not
saying this is legal, I'm just telling you what M$ EULA states.

You will see win95 for sale on ebay often, but note it's always offered
with a piece of hardware, in order to comply with the EULA.  I
personally don't believe that selling win95 oem with a bad stick of
memory would hold up in court, but that's what the folks do.

> The Micro$haft End User licensing for all subsequent winblows
> releases specifically prohibits any form of transfer of installed M$
> OS and software infections or the associated licenses. Any system or
> hard drive installed with post-'95 winblows must be thoroughly erased
> before transferring hardware ownership or all of the M$ victims
> involved will be in violation of the original license and subject to
> prosecution. The only way anyone can get a "legitimate" second hand,
> post-'95 version of windblows is by receiving a donation of a sealed,
> un-installed license pack or retail box from a third party that has
> already paid M$ for the original license but never used it.

This applies to win95 as well, read the EULA.  Also, you can not
transfer a 'sealed un-installed license pack' if it is oem.

> Clearly, for any individual or organization involved in reselling or
> recycling computing hardware and systems (non profit or otherwise),
> removing all viral M$ products and installing Open Source GPL
> distributions for the OS and basic software is the only rational
> choice. Perpetuating any kind of M$ infections on used or recycled
> systems simply leaves everyone involved vulnerable to monopolist
> harassment, threats and lawsuits, in addition to subjecting yet
> another level of victims to disfunctional, infection prone,
> Micro$hafted computers. Given the options and flexibility of today's
> free GPL software and OS offerings, there is absolutely no excuse for
> leaving or putting M$ products on a used computer.

I agree with you 100%.

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net