[ale] Lightweight Window Manager Issues

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sun Oct 5 01:44:53 EDT 2003

After realizing that I spent more time trying to get old machines to do
things that weren't in the cards than actually getting anything
accomplished, I stopped messing with old stuff after 2-3 tries.  600 MHz
stuff is dirt cheap and it seems that the lowest bargain basement computer
is something in the 300 MHz range.  I cannot find any brand new CPU's slower
than a 1.8 GHz chip if I want to buy new (in the bargain bins).

Why don't you assign the box to something it can do (firewall duty) and get
something else ?  I think that FreeBytes helps non-profits in GA by
providing PC's.  Yes, they put Windows 95 on them, but you can always just
ask for the box.  Unfortunately, much of the software nowadays cannot be
used on really old stuff - especially when it is taxing (like x).

Good Luck,

Greg