[ale] [Fwd: Cost of Windows and Office in US vs Thailand]

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 09:12:56 EDT 2003

One of the things that has always bothered me is that when vendors sell
products to the Government on a General Services Administration contract
(a pre-negotiated contract that any Government agency can buy off of
without having to compete the requirement), the price is supposed to be
no higher than that which they offer their best commercial customers.

When MS pulls stuff like this or when they try to equal or beat a
Linux-based offering by basically nulling out the per-seat line item, it
just makes the pricing arbitrary, i.e., it's Tuesday and the moon is
full, so we'll charge $xxx.  It should make anyone who pays a
significant amount for licenses feel like they're getting screwed over.

- Jeff

Jeff Hubbs <hbbs at comcast.net>