[ale] Simple Desktop Distro for Remote Windows user

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 2 14:44:12 EDT 2003

> Be aware, if you go the RH route, that RH 9 is the last version of RH as a
> desktop release.  RH in the future will only be a mucho dinero enterprise
> server version.  RH will be providing much of the personpower for the fedora
> project.  Fedora will replace redhat.  It will be a completely free and open
> desktop OS.  It is intended to be more cutting edge and less stable that the
> costly RH releases.
>
> Michael

I had thought about Fedora - but it looks like General Availability is November 3rd. I'd like to have the laptop in, OS installed, dial-up networking tested, and the latest stable releases of OpenOffice, Gimp, Scribus and GnuCash up and running. Goal is to get it out in one to two weeks max.

While I'd like to test out Fedora, I don't want to FedEx a laptop running Fedora Test 2 release. Upgrading to General Availability over dial-up wouldn't be fun. (hmmmm, I could cut an ISO, mail it and talk her through an upgrade if necessary)

Have you tried Fedora? Is it stable as a general purpose desktop package? That still leaves me needing simple to understand user guides - but there might be a way around that if it is very close to Red Hat in look and feel.