[ale] Simple Desktop Distro for Remote Windows user

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Oct 2 14:23:10 EDT 2003

On Thursday 02 October 2003 10:35 am, BruceG wrote:

> Think it's time for me to look a little closer at RH. The company I work
> for also allows people to install a secure version of RH on their PC's, and
> I've avoided it to date (it's one thing to hack up my own desktop - it's an
> entirely different matter if I hack up my "bread and butter" laptop). I
> MIGHT try backing up the laptop to my desktop and installing RH in
> dual-boot mode. Unfortunately, RH9 is not supported, I'd have to go with
> 7.2. But that would go against my own policy of never never never messing
> with anything on the work laptop. You never want a PC problem when a
> project is due.

Be aware, if you go the RH route, that RH 9 is the last version of RH as a
desktop release.  RH in the future will only be a mucho dinero enterprise
server version.  RH will be providing much of the personpower for the fedora
project.  Fedora will replace redhat.  It will be a completely free and open
desktop OS.  It is intended to be more cutting edge and less stable that the
costly RH releases.

Michael