[ale] IpTables management?

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Oct 2 09:59:59 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 01 October 2003 10:34 am, Ryan Neily wrote:
> I am really struggling with managing 3-4 firewalls with raw IPTables
> scripts.  They are all driving me mad, and I am getting to the point where
> I am sure that they are not the safest firewall implementations just
> because the Iptable script it so convoluted and LONG.

I foudn fwbuilder to be really nice.  It lets you define the various objects
in your network (networks, firewalls, clients, rules, service) and manage
them with a pretty nice GUI.  It can generate iptables, cisco pix, and other
fw rules.  You still have to know what you want, but at a higher level in a
nice object oriented fashion.

> Anyways, I am looking at different firewall projects that offer iptables
> functionality through their own implementation.  I've found the Shorewall
> project which looks nice, any others I should look at?

As a pure firewall product I like IPCop (ipcop.org) very well.  It's a 5
minute install and completely managed through a browser.

Michael