[ale] [WAY OT]Reverse Engineering MS Visual Basic Applications

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Wed Oct 1 02:10:23 EDT 2003

	Unless you are an employee (and therefore the product is a work for hire owned by the
employer) the copyright is automatically held by the creator of the work and must be explicitly
transferred to the buying party. You'd be surprised how much software written is owned by the
contractors (or contracting agency) and no-one, including the contractors, are even aware of it
because there were no copyright assignments in place and people are generally ignorant of this
fact.

	If you think the buyer should have all the rights then you would also believe that you own
the copyrights to books and music that you buy. That's absurd of course because copyright is not
about a tangible asset but about intellectual property - ownership of your creation and ideas. More
often than not the buyer is purchasing a license to use this property rather than transfer of the
property itself. Capitalist economies are fundamentally driven by this idea which seeks to reward
and incentify those who create new ideas that benefit society and create new wealth.

	Ben Scherrey