[ale] Traceroute vs tracert

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Sat Nov 29 18:08:37 EST 2003

On Saturday, November 29, 2003 11:18 AM, Robert L. Harris wrote:

>   I know there's a difference in how Linux/Solaris/Unix traceroute works
> versus how windows tracert uses concerning the protocol type, etc.
> Anyone have a good link to this difference?

Windows tracert only uses ICMP echo requests, whereas traceroute can
either use UDP datagrams (by default) or ICMP echo requests
(controlled by the -I option).  Other than that, the two programs
work similarly by incrementing the TTL field in order to elicit an
ICMP "time exceeded" response from each host along the route.

--Joe