[ale] Publisher for Linux

hbbs at comcast.net hbbs at comcast.net
Fri Nov 28 23:40:46 EST 2003

The learning curve thing is a problem for working with Lyx, TeTeX, etc.  Barring the use of canned styles, the notion of designing a document before typing word one is off-putting to many, I'm sure.

However, I think it would be an excellent way to create, edit, manage, and control Government contract documents.  The software application used in the CDC's Procurement and Grants Office, ICE, is a PowerBuilder/SQL Server app that apparently builds an MS Word macro and sets it off onto a pre-built Word document.

While that's happening - and it can take several minutes - the computer can't really be touched for fear of having it crash and furthermore, changes in versions of Word require a snipe hunt for the changes that have to be made to the macro, and at the end of it you wind up with something that winds up having to be fixed by hand anyway.

- Jeff