[ale] Monitor won't display more than 640x480

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 27 08:38:03 EST 2003

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 12:11:10AM -0500, Mike Millson wrote:
> I am running RHL 9 and have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u monitor
> connected via an Apex Outlook KVM to my Dell Latitude laptop. If I set
> the resolution to greater than 640x480, it expands the resolution beyond
> the size of the screen so all I see is the middle part of the window on
> the monitor. When my mouse gets to the edge of the screen, the window
> "scrolls over" so I can see the edges.
>
> Is there such a thing as a monitor not being compatible w/ Linux? I
> didn't find any monitors listed on the RH compatibility list or any
> other compatibility lists, so I'm guessing not.
>
> Attached is the XF86Config file I'm using.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Mike

Look in the /var/log/XFree86.blah.log (or /var/log/XFree86.log.blah) where blah is
a digit like 0   In there you will see the details on what your Xserver discovered
about the video card and monitor. In particular pay attention to anywhere you see the
word "Virtual"

You are getting a virtual display size larger than the 800x600 you have hardcoded into
the XF86Config file. This is most likely because it is actually discovering these larger
available display resolutions that would work with your card monitor combo.

Also it is better initially NOT hard code in a display size but rather flip through
the available ones it finds using the "Ctrl-Alt-+" and "Ctrl-Alt--" (+/- are the
plus amn minus keys specifically on the keypad area od your keyboard). Once you find
a display resolution you like use the xdpyinfo command to find out exactly which
resolution you are at. Once you know that then you can hardcode that plus others
into the XF86Config file
Steven A. DuChene     linux-clusters at mindspring.com
                      sduchene at mindspring.com