[ale] Georgia Computing Standards Explicitly Disallow Linux

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Nov 26 17:01:55 EST 2003

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:

> Jonathan Glass wrote:
<<big snip>>
> it's people like secretaries, or general clerks use them
> then there is absolutely no reason they need Windows
> or Office. Of course, they probably didn't do any testing
> or profiling of required tasks. Sigh... How come IT
> seems to have a disproportionate share of idiots?
> (don't be too fast with those comments by the way) :)

Well, I'm not in IT, but I do mean this to try and help. I'm quite likely
to be off the mark, however.

IT (like a number of other service functions like research) is generally
under the overriding control of one or more individuals who don't
have a real feel for the discipline and techniques of information
technology. However, those individuals are the real decision makers,
deciding who gets promoted, what tools are used for implementations, and
so forth. The basis of these decisions is _not_ broad compentecies in the
technology, but "what are the other fools doing?" style de jure.

IT isn't the only field that suffers in this way. Just the field related
to this list...