[ale] OT: Bank of America

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Fri Nov 21 14:48:19 EST 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 01:20:39PM -0500, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> Any good quickie tutorials on double-entry?  I'm thinking about starting
> to use SQL Ledger.
I don't know of any.  I learned from the text book for the Accounting class
that my Accounting Major GF at the time was using.

The basic idea is that any transaction involves moving money or "stuff" with
a specified value from account to another.  Thus, the amount is recorded
in two different columns, with one column for each account.  For example,
one account (column in the paper or electronic ledger) would be the balance
in the business checking account.  Others would be "Office Supplies",
"Computer Supplies", "Salary", etc.

When you buy a $3 stack of note pads you credit Office Supplies because it
you now have $3 worth of stuff and debit the checking account, usually
represented as the "balance" on the ledger.

The beauty of double entry accounting is that you then "balance the books"
by summing up each column and the summing across the last row.  The sum of
the last row should equal zero since you started with zero.  By having the
"double entry" of each transaction (on at least two different accounts),
almost any error will show up as accounts not balancing.  Thus, it's much
harder to make an unintentional error.

At tax time, the final row is that data that you give to your accountant
or tax software.  It also has the data in a form that the IRS will accept
if they do an audit.

> - Jeff
Bob