[ale] OT: Bank of America

Christopher Gilbert chris_gilbert at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 21 03:00:47 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 23:31, Bob Toxen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 10:12:24PM -0500, Christopher Gilbert wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 19:00, George Carless wrote:
> > I got GnuCash to work with BofA online too!
> Do tell!  I want to switch my accounting from paper to GnuCash and
have
> online banking (With Royal Bank of Canada) and hope that they are
> compatible.
>
> > Chris-Marlin
> Bob

BofA online lets you download old statements in
Quicken formats, I have another bank that use
comma separated values, It's GunCash's import filters that make it all
work nicely.

The trick to using GunCash is understanding "double entry accounting"
they have a concepts tutorial on there web site.
"Double Entry" is suppose to be a better way to handle accounting
although I couldn't tell you why.
My wife keeps the book. :)

As for Banks in the US, they all suck!  I regret ever canceling
the HSBC account I had in Hong Kong.  I could keep up to five different
currency with my one basic account and convert between them online or
over the phone. They had tons of other free services that I just never
got to try out.

I any one knows of a bank in Atlanta where I can deposit Japanese yen
and Chinese yuan and not have to convert it to dollars that would be
cool!

Christopher-Marlin