[ale] Mystery Spam

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Nov 19 09:25:48 EST 2003

    Jeff> I guess where my confusion lies is this: How did Evolution
    Jeff> know to perform the base64 decode for that text?  Does it
    Jeff> (and other mail clients, I'd presume) look for some sort of
    Jeff> characteristic "smell" in its message text?

There's a number of headers (such as Content-Transfer-Encoding) and
other formatting which contain metadata that let MIME-aware
applications know what's in the message.  For more info see:

http://www.mhonarc.org/~ehood/MIME/

which has links to the relevant RFCs.

770 294-0820 (m)      |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=