[ale] Looking for editor opinions

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 17 11:17:28 EST 2003

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 08:55:16AM -0500, Larry Richardson wrote:
> I am looking for a different editor for programming.  I use emacs mostly
> (some vi) for C/C++, but I want to find an editor that can give me the
> following:

As others have mentioned, you might want to look at eclipse.
Personally, I think it's a little quirky, and I hate the way it does
tabbed windows, but lots of people rave about it.

I've been using an extremely lightweight text editor called FTE for
years now.  It is also a little quirky, but it's small, blazingly fast,
and free.  It meets most of your requirements below:

> o  Graphical interface
yes

> o  Tabbed window list (like gEdit)
no, but you can list all windows and switch with a hotkey

> o  Ability to save the editor state (list of open windows) and restore
> this later - this is the one feature I haven't found yet
yes

> Other nice to have features:
>
> o  color code highlighting based on file type
yes, the most extensive I've ever seen

> o  ability to kick off scripts from the editor (to do compiles, etc)
yes

> o  key remapping, or at least the ability to use emacs or vi keymaping
yes

> o  free
yes

FTE also uses the concept of file modes, similar to emacs.  This lets
you use different key bindings based on file type, and also lets you,
for instance, automatically expand tabs to spaces when editing .java or
.c files, but not Makefiles.

http://fte.sourceforge.net/

HTH,
Jason